The month of May was Women’s Health Month and a great reminder that we need to continue to be put ourselves at the top of the Self Care List! We want to live well and leave a legacy of honoring our bodies to show how important Self Care is to our daughters. So I’m sharing How to create a DIY Self Care Basket for myself and I really encourage you to do the same!
You can also make DIY Self Care Gift Baskets for someone special, which are super fun too! There are lots of gift basket ideas at the end of this post!
- 1 How to Create a DIY Self Care Basket
- 2 You can find bible verses about self care with a free printable on 22 Bible Verses about Self Care All Women Need to Know
- 3 Need ideas of other items you might add to your Self Care Basket:
- 4 Yummy Lotions and Potions
- 5 Exotic Bath Bombs, Bubble Bath and Shower Gels…gotta have em!
- 6 Dark Chocolate
- 7 Writing Journal
- 8 Special scented relaxing candle
- 9 Essential Oils
- 10 Coloring Books
- 11 All Natural Sunscreens!
- 12 A NEW Bible ~ There are so many amazing Bibles out there these days. Art journal bibles, Devotional Bibles aimed at women’s issues…there is one just for you!
- 13 A cozy blanket that’s just for you to snuggle!
- 14 Or maybe you are a fancy fingernail girl…whoopie…this is about as fancy as it gets my friend! LOL
- 15 More Self Care Tips and Printable Checklists!
How to Create a DIY Self Care Basket
As Moms, well lets just say women as a whole, we easily lean into the role as care GIVER not care TAKER. It’s the way we were created, to nurture and care for the needs of those around us. We are touchy feeling creatures..no not feely, but feelING!
If we see a need we meet it…if we can. We revolve our lives around our children and extended family and our friends and their activities. It’s easy to put ourselves pretty much last on the list as far as making time and taking care of ourselves.
I want to encourage you (and me) to make a plan of action to continue lifelong habits of health, because if WE don’t take care of ourselves…who will?
I am a procrastinator when it come to taking care of myself. I have this syndrome called “I just gotta do one more thing”! HA!
- I’ll take my vitamins after I just do this one thing
- I’ll get that glass of water after I put the dishes away and do this one more thing
- I’ll go for a walk or exercise after I take my kids to…
- I’ll take a bath or shower after I do this one more thing…
- I’ll brush my teeth in a minute
To add to the little problem of the “one more thing” syndrome, I have teens that constantly seem to “NEED”! Oh yes..they NEED my hairbrush, my clothes, my shoes, my hair supplies…and YES I’ve even caught them using my toothbrush! EEEWWW! Oh and of course they NEED my time!
They are trying to take my brand new Quattro razors!
I love my kids soo much that I usually just let them use my stuff..as long as they take care of it and give it back..NOT my toothbrush though! LOL
Then there are my grandkids whom I’m blessed to watch..but let’s just say a 4 year old and 1 year old need a lot of attention…oh ya.. I know you know!
I’ve been praying a lot about why it’s so easy to put myself last on the list.. Some things have to do with my up bringing and the neglect that was present. Although I have long worked through many of those issues, it still remains that I somehow think that everyone else is more important than me.
I’ve really been asking God to change my heart about this area and as always He has been faithful to give me some answers…
- He has reminded me of His great love for me
- He has reminded me that I am HIS creation
- He has reminded me that if I were to love myself as much as He and my family love me, I would be waaay more pro active and motivated to take care of myself
- He reminded me that NOW is the time to take action…before my health begins to decline. In other words..no more procrastination.
- He reminded me of how my children and my grandchildren are watching….need I say more.
You can find bible verses about self care with a free printable on 22 Bible Verses about Self Care All Women Need to Know
When my older children were growing up I was VERY much active and health conscious. They are now VERY health conscious too. They are marathon runners and raising their own families. So I know that it makes a huge impact on our children as to how we choose to live our lives.
What about these younger kids though..what am I teaching them if I am not putting my health first!
Isn’t it an oxymoron that we so desire to serve our families..to be there for them and yet we put ourselves last, putting our very health at risk so that we may not be there for them later?!
Since I’m trying so hard to take care of myself and we are making an effort to continue Women’s Health month all year long, I went to Walgreen’s and shopped for some goodies..for myself. Epsom Salts with Lavender, Razors, Calcium with Vitamin D and Lavender Conditioner. I sort of like Lavender!
I poured the Epsom Salts into a Mason Jar because I like Mason Jars and there are some super cute ones out there! So now that Summer is here and the beautiful weather is here..My teens said that I have to shave my legs.. Since I bought a 3 pack of razors I’ll keep one and surprise them and give them each one too!
Ok my post is getting waaaayyyy too long so I think what I better do is to continue this conversation on a couple other posts…because:
I want to tell you the benefits of Epsom Salts AND I don’t Shampoo my hair.. for real! So I know you want to know all about that too..right?!
And taking Calcium WITH vitamin D is massively important and I know you want to know why that is too..right?!
I want to encourage you to make yourself a Self Care Basket. Put into it anything that YOU consider to be indispensible to your own personal health.
Some of the things that I’ve also added to my Self Care Basket ~
This Amope Pedicure tool! We have an issue with calluses so we LOVE it!
I just put my basket under the sink in my bathroom and pull it out whenever I need it. Everything is right there when I need it..no searching for “borrowed” items!
Need ideas of other items you might add to your Self Care Basket:
Exotic Bath Bombs, Bubble Bath and Shower Gels…gotta have em!
Special scented relaxing candle
A NEW Bible ~ There are so many amazing Bibles out there these days. Art journal bibles, Devotional Bibles aimed at women’s issues…there is one just for you!
A cozy blanket that’s just for you to snuggle!
Or maybe you are a fancy fingernail girl…whoopie…this is about as fancy as it gets my friend! LOL
This is a super inexpensive leave in conditioner that I use! It’s super light and works really well!
Soo many cute baskets too! Make it special friend…just for you!
Remember…this self care basket for womens health is JUST FOR YOU! It can include anything your hearts desire!
I want to leave you with this Free Printable as a daily reminder of just how important you are and how much you/me deserve to take good..no great..care of ourselves!
Enjoy and be Blessed this week!
Another way you can take care of yourself is to take some quiet time each day to spend with God.