I realize that many don’t like to use up those leftovers from the night before dinner. However if you have chosen to be on a tight budget or determined to save money this year, using up leftovers is a HUGE money saver.
I have friends that have husbands that totally refuse to eat leftovers from the night before. I really don’t get it..unless those leftovers are not being served up in a new and interesting way the next day.
I just wanted to give you a quick and easy idea for using leftovers by making this quick Taco Soup that I whipped up in about 5 minutes…with leftovers.
I have also added a Free Printable for you to use to take stock of what is ALREADY in your fridge and hopefully encourage you to use up those leftovers.
This is how I made Taco Soup today with leftovers…just to show you how creative you CAN be! At the end of my post, along with the printable, I’ll give you my “go to” original recipe for Taco Soup…Not made with leftovers. LOL
I looked in my fridge and NOTHING looked good..I had cooked a HUGE Taco Bar the night before for 15 Varsity Basketball Girls and didn’t feel like fixing myself lunch.
These were my options:
- Taco Salad
- Bean Burrito w/rice
- Meat Burrito w/rice
None of it sounded all that good to me and then I thought “Lord, please help me to figure out something to eat and then all of a sudden I thought of Taco Soup!” I just thought I would throw the ingredients in a pot to make a single serving!
Taco Soup – Single Serving
Whatever you have! I used-
- 1/2 Cup Taco Meat
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Corn Salad/Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 tsp. Chicken Broth/Bullion
- 1/2 tsp. Taco Seasoning (you could use less…I like spice)
- Optional – Cheese and Tortilla Chips and Salsa for topping..or sour cream
Pour water into pot …Then add all the other ingredients..heat and eat!
Then I added a small amount of Cheese, Tortilla Chips, and Salsa! YUMMY!!
Want to know something? I almost always consult God when I’m in the Kitchen…because He is always there! This was the great idea He gave me this time..easy peasy!
There are lots of variations of Taco Soup but here my original recipe for Taco Soup that I have been making for years! It’s deelish so enjoy!
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 cooked chicken breasts cut up
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 little can green chilies
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 Tbs. taco seasoning (I use more)
- Optional – Sour Cream, Cheese, Salsa
Add all ingredients a pot and let simmer for about 15-30 mins…done! YUM!
Here is a printable that will help you take stock of your leftovers…after you take stock…look for a recipe, be creative!
Just try it for a week and see how much money you will save!
How do YOU save money in the kitchen? Do you cook with leftovers? Why and why not?
- •1/2 Cup Taco Meat
- •1/2 Cup Rice
- •1/2 Cup Corn Salad/Salsa
- •1½ cups Water
- •1 tsp. Chicken Broth/Bullion
- •1/2 tsp. Taco Seasoning (you could use less…I like spice)
- •Optional – Cheese and Tortilla Chips and Salsa for topping..or sour cream
- Pour water into pot …Then add all the other ingredients..heat and eat
- Then I added a small amount of Cheese, Tortilla Chips, and Salsa! YUMMY!!