The excitement of Christmas is over and the weather outside is cold, rainy and snowy! The kids are already saying… ”I’m bored” and starting to squabble with one another too much. Here are Tons of Fun Indoor Activities to Keep Kids Busy during those looong cold winter days. There are also MORE fun indoor activities for Keeping Fussy Kids Happy While You Cook Dinner too?
I know the feeling when that guilt sets in because the kids have been watching too much TV or Movies and there is still a long winter ahead.
Instead of letting these long winter months get to you and your kids, have fun! Make a mess, use your imagination and make memories! So what do you do when the kids say “I’m bored!”
Keep the kids busy with these indoor activities during Winter
This post contains affiliate links, thank you for supporting our family at no cost to you.
- Indoor Bowling! Yes, if you have a long hall way you can totally do this with a few things from around the house. Check how!
- Let the kids build a tent city with sheets and blankets..let them move the furniture around…OR if you are really adventurous and have a large indoor playroom, you can build one with PVC pipe and elbows .
- Let them build the biggest spider web ever by giving them some yarn and going between all of the furniture and then let them crawl around it…(not so good with younger kids)
- Bird Watching: make some Little Bird Feeders and set them out for the birds..Bird food is cheap. Those little birdies need food at this time of year. You could even buy some inexpensive binoculars. For older kids..have them identify and draw the birds,’
- If you kids LOVE Legos/Duplos/Bricks then they will LOVE these super fun Brick Activities! I wish this had been around when my kids were younger!
- Even in the Winter Kids can learn about Birds!
Click on the picture if you want to hop over and check them out!
- Let them take turns “swimming” in the bathtub..come on, it’s a great way to pass an hour.
There is nothing more fun than “swimming” in the middle of winter! All the more fun when you have safe soap crayons to allow the kids to get creative!
Ok I really can’t help it, but I’m sure you will agree with me that having the kids in the bathtub, having fun AND getting clean is an all out rock star Mom moment!!
Umm just don’t let them go crazy… AND DO NOT leave those little scalawags unattended!
Green Toys Ferry Boat with Mini Cars BathtubBoon B11088 Building Bath Pipes Toy Set, SetHook and Reel Fishing Toy Playset for KidsBathtime Pirate Ship Bathtub Bath Toy for KidsBath Toy – Submarine Spray Station – Battery
- Get a jump on Spring and make an indoor window sill garden. These are so easy and inexpensive. All you need are some containers..these could even be milk cartons, some dirt and some seeds..Oh and a Sunny window! Or you could buy a kit. Really easy to grow are: Beans, Radishes, Onions, Peas, Sweet Alyssum, Nasturtiums, Parsley. To really perk the excitement of kids..plant the seeds so that they spell out the child’s initials. Be creative and plant in different kinds of containers too!
Here are a couple ready to go and no fail kits, the kids AND YOU might enjoy.
The Miracle Gro AreoGarden is on my list this year!
- Let the kids paint an old clay pot that you will plant in.
There is nothing easier to grow than Sprouts! I’ve been growing them for YEARS!
I wish there had been a fun kit like this when I first started!
- Draw some pictures to send to Grandma and Grandpa! Don’t forget to send them. LOL!
- We use to have a sensory bin that had bird seed, rice and beans. We would put sand toys and kitchen utensils in it and spread a sheet out in the kitchen with the bin on top and let them play, play, play..this was a real kid pleaser! Use the flat under the bed bins, then when you are done just put the lid on and slide under the bed.
- Shaving Cream art. I only did this with Cookie Sheet with edges …not much mess then. Spray Shaving Cream onto cookie sheet and let the kids finger paint. Draw pictures and letters or maybe draw those birds you are watching!
- Get to that Library…Oh the fun books and projects you can find there…Don’t get me started on that one..I LOVE the Library
- Freeze dance with the Alphabet! Write one letter of the Alphabet on a piece of paper (use the letter’s you are working on most) When the music stops, whatever letter the child is on..they either find something in the room that starts with that letter or they think of a word that starts with that letter.
So here is my biggest tip of the day and I get so excited about it: Cook with your Kids!! Kids LOVE to cook (even teens!) and there are so many ways to get even the littlest involved.
- pizza muffins – muffins, spaghetti sauce, cheese, toppings…if you want
- Bagel Bites
- Homemade Pizza
- cookies – kids love to make cookies and make the round balls..who cares if they are perfectly round 🙂 Or Sugar Cookies – let the kids frost them. If you don’t want to make from scratch BUY cookie dough..yes it’s perfectly legal..LOL! Your kids won’t judge you and you won’t be a bad Mommy!
- Homemade Hot Pockets
- Make some Vegetable Soup…they might even eat there veggies this way.
- Make Scrambled Eggs..a great way for older kids to practice cracking eggs and the littlest to practice stirring.
- Kids love to spread Peanut Butter, Cream Cheese…really anything on crackers or bread. Let them do it
- After you are done cooking, be sure and let the kids help clean up..let them load dishwasher..that doesn’t have to be perfect either
- Take some of your specially made food to neighbors or let the kids invite another child for the meal or treat they have just prepared!
My biggest boredom buster…COOK WITH THE KIDS!
Cooking and Eating are all about the relationship. It’s quality time and enjoying one another that counts the most..build that relationship with each other and a love for cooking healthy food at the same time!
Try some of these activities just a couple of times a week. Winter will go by much faster. Oh and don’t forget to take a nice walk outdoors too!
Since we are indoors so much during the winter..it’s the perfect time for Potty Training!!
Let me know what creative things you do with your kids during the long winter months!
Linking up at these great parties!