This is a sponsored post, I have been compensated to give my honest opinion. This story is mine and I want to thank Acorn and Pampers Underjams for allowing me to tell our story about Nocturnal Enuresis: Bedwetting Tips and Solutions.
When my younger children were small we did everything we could to protect them. We were very protective and somehow in my naïve mind I thought life was going to be perfect with these little ones. Well as life goes, nothing is perfect under the sun.
I want to share with you a very sensitive issue that we had to work through with one of my younger daughters. Nocturnal Enuresis, in layman’s terms…bedwetting. Enuresis simply means involuntary urination.
My daughter was the most beautiful little girl, so strong willed and self confident that if a stranger passed her by and happened to look at her wrong… she might say something like “Hey! Why are you looking at me?” Ugg it was so embarrassing and not so kind either. I knew however that this came from a deep sense of security and confidence. I was careful how I handled her, so as not to crush her spirit.
She was so smart, she potty trained herself at the age of 1 1/2! I kid you not. Out of 7 children she is the only one that had done that AND I didn’t even know that a child that small could potty train themselves at that age!
Around the age of 4 she began wetting the bed at night. Not every night, but many nights. For no rhyme nor reason, she just began wetting the bed. I’m a pretty laid back parent so at first I didn’t really think much about it. I would change her bed sheets and we would move on with the day. However this began to continue about 4 nights out of the week.
During those bedwetting years it was apparent that my daughter was becoming more embarrassed and frustrated and beginning to show a lack of confidence. It was sad and frustrating for me as a Mom…I hadn’t had a bedwetter before and had no idea how to “cure” this issue! I knew that it was fairly common but I wondered when would this end!
- Nothing to drink after a certain hour in the evening.
- I learned that milk is a natural diuretic..so no milk late in the day.
- I would actually wake her up before I went to bed and make sure she went to the bathroom.
- I checked out children’s books from the library about bedwetting and we read these books with our daughter. There weren’t many, but what books there were helped to educate and make our daughter feel more confident that bedwetting was common and would pass. I’m super excited to offer to you (courtesy of Pampers Underjams) This awesome little printable book to help your child to understand and feel good about themselves.
- Print out Sal the Sasquatch
- As hard as it was we kept her bed and sheets as clean as possible. Washing every single time that the bed was wet. Keeping clean sheets just came as a matter of routine. Something that was neither frowned upon nor made a big deal of..we just did it.
- Since there is no real “cure” for Enuresis we accepted this phase of growth our daughter was in. Our acceptance helped our daughter to be able to cope as well.
- One of the most important things we realized was that our daughter is a SUPER HEAVY SLEEPER! She simply didn’t wake to go to the restroom.
- Last but not least…We did A LOT of praying through this time.
Oh how I wish that there had been something like Pampers UnderJams when she was small. Life would have been sooo much easier! Some of the features that would have had us RUNNING to the store to get these:
- Night wear leakage protection that features a NightLock ultra-absorbent core.
- ComfortWear quiet, cloth-like materials for privacy….I love this as our daughter could have worn these when we did overnights and not been embarrassed.
- Low waist so only your child knows they are wearing them!
Well our daughter is now 16 and we all look back on those days as a bit of a trial but we also chuckle at how deep a sleeper our daughter was as she went through this time. It only lasted a few years, but at the time it seemed like forever. I don’t really remember when it happened but just as quickly as it came, it disappeared.
Be encouraged Moms and Dads that this is probably only a season. Don’t fret and don’t freak..even if it is a bit unpleasant. I encourage you to hop over to the Pampers Underjams website and get more bedwetting tips and solutions. You can purchase Pampers Underjams at Walmart.
BUT before you go…
Print out these adorable coloring pages and share them with your kids!
Hiding Coloring Page
Splashing Coloring Page
Super Pose Coloring Page
If you’ve ever dealt with Enuresis, what solutions worked for you? Let’s help other parents dealing with the same issue!
Have a blessed day!
Linking up with these awesome parties!