The holiday season evokes many different emotions, with it’s sounds, smells, tastes and memories. Some good and some not so good. The smell of pumpkin pie baking in the oven..Mmmm. The sounds of jingle bells and Christmas songs..now playing way to early, before Thanksgiving has even come to pass… Boo!
There is one thing that ushers in the holiday season..It cries out all that is joyful and delightful and umm deelish… It’s Gingerbread! Gingerbread Houses, Gingerbread Men, Gingerbread anything and everything! The fun of building Gingerbread Houses and decorating them with lots and lots and lots…of candy!
When my kids were young we used fables and stories to teach important life lessons. We would use scripture to bring about the point of the story and talk about what scripture says about what we might do in tough situations. It was a chance to talk things through before they ever happened.
Sharing the story of The Gingerbread Man and how he ran away from the woman that baked him and in the end came to a rather sad end was a great way to teach about being careful and cautious with strangers even when they seemed very nice…The Gingerbread Man is fun and fascinating to kids..if told in the right way of course.
When I got the opportunity to create a fun craft with the new Gingerbread M&M’s all I could think of was the Gingerbread Man Story and how my kids and I would enjoy it. I found this old fashioned Gingerbread Man Game Board with no copyright and decided to have some fun. I’ve created a DIY Gingerbread Man Game for Gaining Wisdom with a Christian twist on it…so that children will enjoy not only the story and game but the M&M’s and the life lessons that scripture exhorts us to live.
Check out the book if you do not own it. So that you are familiar with the story. Then create this fun game…All Printable’s are at the end of these instructions 🙂
DIY Gingerbread Game for Gaining Wisdom!
Print out all of the Printable’s.
Glue game printable onto one half of the foam board.
Fold 1 of the pieces of cardstock up so that it is almost in half..leave about 1 1/2 inches
Then fold the other small part down
Now we are going to sew down the sides to make a pocket and then sew a zig zag stitch across the top. Yep you can sew on paper 🙂
Don’t panic if you don’t sew! Just glue the edges or use an envelope 🙂 Really it’s ok!
Now glue this envelope to the upper half of the folding Foam Board..
Cut apart your Scripture Cards and Cut out Spinner. If you don’t want the Scripture Cards feel free to make up your own positive messages.
Put a Brad in the middle of the Spinner to connect the arrow to the round part of spinner.
You can use the pocket to hold your Scripture Cards and Game Spinner
Mod Podge the Gingerbread Man on the top just to make it look so cute when your game is closed and to entice the little ones to want to play! Now for the game play rules! Remember I just made these up so feel free to change 🙂
- Make sure each player has a game piece…a Gingerbread M&M
- Youngest spins first.
- Move however many spaces the arrow points to.
- Follow the instructions if you land on one of the big picture circles PLUS grab a scripture card and read it..this is the time to discuss whatever the picture part of the story is and the scripture.
- Next person goes and follows the same and so on…
- It is good to make several scripture sheets if you have several little playing.
- At the end of the game whoever wins gets to eat there candy playing piece AND for every scripture card they have they get an extra piece of candy! The other players can do this too if you want..but maybe the winner can eat theirs first 🙂 Everyone should win at this game.
- To end the game on a positive note…instead of the wolf eating the Gingerbread Man the kids eat the M & M’s because they gained so much wisdom along the way and stayed away from danger
This contest has ended…but please feel free to enjoy the Gingerbread Man Game with any M&M’s you would like and don’t forget the printable below!
If you would like some more festive holiday decorating ideas check out these fun Gingerbread M&M’s crafts and if you have some creative ideas of your own, participate in the Gingerbread M&M Instagram contest to win a great prize! Just upload an original image to Instagram with inspirational ideas and creations using Gingerbread M&M’s to decorate and craft during the holidays, caption that image with the hashtag #HolidayMM, and share on Twitter.
- Contest starts on the 22nd when the posts go live – Ends Dec 20th – 4 weeks long
- Winners will be chosen at random .
- The more you enter, the better chance you have to win. 3 entries (a photograph with the hashtag is an entry) per day MAX. #HolidayMM
- There are 3 – $200 prizes for general public
Linking up with: Fun in Functional, Pin Me Party, Friday’s Five Features, Free Printable Friday, Sharing Saturday, Friday Link Up, Sharing Time, Inspire Me Monday, Mommy and Me, Making my Home Sing, Frugal Crafty Home, Modest Monday, Make the Scene Monday, Creative Corner, Give Me the Goods, Manic Monday, Monday Musings, Living Proverbs 31, Krafty Cards Linky, Twirl and Take a Bow, One Project at a Time, Teach Me Tuesday, Titus 2 Tuesday, Take a Look Tuesday, Titus 2sday, You’re Gonna Love It, Tutorial Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Take it on Tuesday, From Dream to Reality, Teach Me Tuesday, WFMW, Whatever Goes Wed. Wow Me Wednesday, Encourage One Another, Wisdom Wednesday, Link Party with Kara, Polka Dot on Parade, Wise Woman Link Up, Krafty Inspiration Thurs.,