Yesterday I wrote about my perfectionism and how it has kept me from being more available to God in our home in the area of hospitality. I also shared how it took me a long time to figure out that it’s not about me! So what IS hospitality about. Well..
“Entertaining says: I want to impress you with my beautiful home, clever decorating and my gourmet cooking! Hospitality says: this is not mine, it is a gift from God and I will use it as HE desires”
Ouch! My heart today is just to share with you some ideas that have helped me to be more relaxed about hospitality and hopefully it will inspire you to offer your home to God and be available to what plans He may have for you and your family. It’s about serving others.
- As I’ve said..It’s not about ME!
- Ask the Lord how he wants to minister to those that will be coming over – pray about it
- Be yourself.. God is not looking for perfect people to love imperfect people. He’s looking for a willingness to love others through us and our imperfections.
- Be available for God to use you and your family
Prepare your home
This has been a tough one for me! Having so many children all the time my house is rarely in “perfect” condition. So for me I have had to come to accept what is “clean” when you have children in the home. It means..
- Have your toilets scrubbed
- sinks clean
- laundry off the sofa
- floors clean
- dishes done..mostly..except those stragglers you find around the house LOL
- that is it…let the other stuff go and work on it little by little. A great website that I have used for years to help keep my home clean and organized is www.Flylady.com If you struggle with this area in your life..this is the site for you!
Prepare your Food
Ok, so you’ve decided to open your home to hospitality, but you have no idea what to cook. A gourmet meal? Only if you have the gifts and talents or want to learn. Don’t know how to cook a gourmet meal? Keep it simple!
- Make you favorite family meal or…
- Spaghetti is FINE! So is a frozen Entrée if you are pressed for time and/or energy:)
- Remember hospitality is about fellowship not entertaining.
- Ask your guests to bring something
- use your everyday dishes..I even use paper plates sometimes..depending on how tired I am. Believe it or not these people are still my friends! LOL
Prepare your Children
Children should definitely be part of the process when showing Hospitality.
- Have them help clean
- Have them help cook
- Have them help serve
- Have them help clean again LOL
- Go over manners..this can actually be fun. Practice a few nights the week before company is coming. Do some role playing! It’s fun!
- Don’t expect your children to be perfect either..get what I mean. Don’t be embarrassed if they choose to act out..they’re kids.
- One reason it is good to include children is because they learn to think of others more than themselves. Hospitality isn’t always convenient.
Just be prepared
If you choose to make yourself available to God..be ready..Some quick food tips for drop in company:
- Always have some kind of appetizer in the freezer that I can just throw in the oven..whether it is homemade or store bought
- Have some kind of muffin mix or frozen muffins in freezer for those mid morning drop ins
- I always have frozen pizza or the ingredients to make a pizza quickly because I have teens stopping by ALL the time .. and one of the best ways to show hospitality to them is FOOD
- cheese and crackers are always good
- veggies and dip
- pita chips and hummus
- Nacho fixins..grated cheese..nacho chips..beans..whatever you like..just have it handy
- Popcorn..you can add seasoning and jazz it up if you want
- fruit is always good..smoothies for Teens and Kids
There is nothing fancy about this list..it’s not even that creative, BUT, it’s a reminder that you can have just about anything on hand for company and it’s just fine..they love being loved by you!
I also like to make a snack list when I go to the grocery store..sort of a side list of things that keep well and can be used specifically for company..whether kids or adults:)
I hope this helps to invite you to be open to being available for God to use you and that you realize you don’t have to be perfect to open your home to hospitality! If I can do it anybody can!
What is your favorite easy tip for hospitality?