One of the most common things that I hear from people regarding prayer or journaling is “I don’t hear from God”. Oh how that breaks my heart. The truth is that we CAN ALL hear from God, we just need LEARN how He speaks to us.
In this weeks Journal Learning Journey: To Know Him More I want to go over some of the ways God speaks to me, and I hope that this will help YOU to see that God is speaking to you also.
Before we move forward, I want to remind you, that God does, will and wants to speak to YOU! Remember in the Journal Learning Journey ‘Does God Really Know Me?’
2 Chronicles 16:9 says “for the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.”
Grab the printable Scripture below to remind you of this!
God is looking for your heart, he’s looking to see that YOU are looking for HIM, he knows you and he hears you.
We think we can’t hear God, but then are we listening, watching, waiting, believing that God WILL speak to us?
Some of the ways to hear from God are:
- Through nature ~ Have you ever looked at an amazing something in nature (sunset, snowflake etc.) and thought “Wow, God is so amazing!” God’s creation, speaks about him!
Romans 1:20 “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.”
God even used a donkey once to speak! Numbers 22:28 “Then the LORD opened the donkey’s mouth, and it said to Balaam, “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?”
- Through people ~ We have all had others, speak into our lives. God uses others MANY times to speak to our hearts. No, not in a condemning way…and if you have “friends” that speak to you like that…time to get new ones…sorry to say. This leads to legalism. I’m talking about people who genuinely care about you, care about sharing truth with you and love God with their whole heart. God can also speak through total strangers, our children and non believers as well!
- Through circumstances ~ Circumstances can sometimes direct our paths. We may not like where that path is taking us…sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not so good. The ONE THING to always remember though, is that God has your very best in mind. Although people can interfere with this, that is where you need to determine which direction you will head and if it is from God or not.
That is where reading and knowing God’s Living Word is so very important.
- Through Gods Word ~ It is so important to get into Gods Word, the Bible. It is His living words to us that bring us life, that teach us. I will further go into this next week on our Journal Learning Journey: #2KnowHimMore
- Through daily life ~ Sometimes it’s the most mundane boring things that God will use to speak to our hearts. We may be doing laundry or dishes or simply changing a diaper, but be sure of this…God will use it if he knows it will speak deeply into your heart!
- Through that still small voice : The Holy Spirit ~ Sometimes it is quiet times…like when we are journaling…that we will here is voice. Not in the thunder, not in the wind or earthquake…but gently and quietly, He will speak to you.
This story is about a man named Elijah, who was weary to the bone of serving God. He was running from his enemies and felt God had abandoned him. The whole story can be found in 1 Kings 19
This is just a portion of when the Lord speaks to Elijah:
“The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it… “
Did you catch that…in a gentle whisper.
The bottom line is this…are we listening and watching?
During your journal time this week… Write out as many times as you can remember how and when God spoke to you. Maybe you didn’t even know it was God at the time until now.
Linking up with these awesome parties!