Yesterday I shared how my life was almost snuffed out as a young girl, by simply not knowing some of the simple rules of water safety..like maybe how to swim!
Since that day I have been overcome and almost drown in more currents than I can count. Not in the pool, but in life.
Sometimes the waves have been so big and the water so deep…I was sure I would drown. Simply breathing was almost impossible as the waves crashed over my head and the under current threatened to carry me far out to sea. Let’s go into the deep water of our heart and souls together as I share with you how 10 vital steps have kept me from drowning. I hope they help you too.
I’ve had desperate times in my life that I thought “I can’t breathe!” “I can’t go on, I can’t tread water any longer.” After my Sister died of AIDS, after my Mom died of Cancer, hard times in marriage, a child in rebellion, lack of money, loss of income..I could go on..but you get the picture I’m sure.
I’m also sure that you have your own set of circumstances that have left you feeling as though you were drowning in this life too. Maybe you even feel like that today!
More recently I was driving through a beautiful valley on the way to my daughters house to watch my grandkids..I had been so very busy and I was extremely exhausted.
That’s what life can do to you, even when things are going good…right?! I had that feeling like I was sinking, beginning to drown…the current was starting to sweep me away, threatening my very sanity it seemed..that can happen at 6:10 in the morning you know..
Then all of a sudden an amazing worship song came on the radio… I began to look up..and my heart cried out to God.. and there it was..God’s hand, waiting to pull me to safety.. I grabbed on for dear life because these are the things that God has shown me over the years about drowning…
I never knew how deeply you loved me nor how deeply I needed you until I was drowning..
- Stop Struggling when help is just a hand away – Remember how I was drowning and the side of the pool was right there beside me?! Remember, no matter how deep the water is and no matter how much you are struggling..God is only a hand away.
- Stop, relax and breathe – We lose site of Gods outstretched hand as we struggle so hard to save ourselves. Just reach out..stop struggling…Stop, relax and breathe..yes breathe.
- Think before you get in over your head – Although many circumstances are beyond our control, many are not. We rush into things before we give ourselves time to think and pray. We totally over commit.
- Learn to tread water – Treading water is supposed to be somewhat of a relaxing, resting state. Sometimes when we are in the deep water, we need to tread water until our help comes. We need not panic, we just need to tread, tread, tread. One day at a time. Help WILL come.
- Don’t let the current sweep you away – It’s easy to be swept away in the current. Everyone else is doing this, that and the other thing. It’s what’s in, it’s what’s trending, it’s what’s popular.
- Learn how to swim upstream – The only way to not let the current sweep you away is to learn to swim upstream! Don’t be a people pleaser, saying “yes” to every little thing that comes along. You are more than what you do! Pray first and listen..Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21
- Watch out for those sneaker waves – The enemy just waits…he goes around looking for those he may devour. It’s easy to make a mistake or be a victim of circumstance and then feel sucked in..like you are drowning. The enemy of our souls wants to make us feel like failures and helpless. He wants us to think that we ARE drowning..STOP, breathe, go back to number one..don’t struggle and grab God’s hand..it is right there.
- Re evaluate – Maybe swimming isn’t your thing..HA! Take time to get away with the Lord..are the things you are doing glorifying Him. Are your priorities straight? God first, then family, then church, friends, work..
- Do something you truly enjoy – If after re-evaluating you find that you are still feeling overwhelmed..just go and do something that you really enjoy. Get outside and garden, go shopping, paint, write..whatever makes your heart sing!
- Go back and do the last thing you are sure that God told you to do – This one thing has kept me from drowning I cannot even tell you how many times. When things get tough and you feel like you are drowning, confusion can set in. That’s where number 10 comes in.. do it and find peace.
Below are a set of Printable Bible verses that you can personalize. Just fill your name into the blank space. When you feel as if you are drowning, pull these cards out and read them, believe them, memorize them. Put them everywhere if you need to…in your car, in you bathroom, in the kitchen…
My little Bible Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY changing the inherent Word of God to say just what I want..I simply am finding ways for myself and others to hide Gods Holy Word into our lives to make it personal and alive.
This weekend I will get 2 whole days..almost to myself..awww. I will be spending time with God and following the above 10 vital steps to keep from drowning…would you take time to do that with me if you are finding yourself in the same boat as me?
Be Blessed Today! j
For more printable Bible Verses: