Now that you have your flexible meal plan and grocery list..you need to stop and check the grocery store loss leaders. While you are grocery budgeting, one way to save big at the grocery store is to use these Loss Leaders to save on rock bottom prices. These are the ads that you get in the mail from the grocery stores. Loss leaders is a term that grocery stores use for grocery items they are willing to take a dollar loss on that week. You know those sales that are in your mail box each week.
If the stores near you are having a BIG sale on a certain meat or canned goods..stock up AND readjust your menu. This is a fantastic way you can save at the grocery store when meal planning. BIG SAVINGS.
How to Save at the Grocery Store With Loss Leaders
Five things to consider when shopping Loss Leaders and Sales:
- Just because something is on sale doesn’t mean you have to buy it or that it is a good deal. If your family doesn’t like it, it’s not a good deal.
- Yes, you may have to revamp a few of your meals for the month, but remember, once you have your master menu and master shopping list..it’s only going to take a few minutes to read the ads, adjust and add a couple of new meals with what’s on sale.
- Loss Leaders only come out once a week. So you may want to save money in your food budget for buying some extra things that are on sale.
- If you have a very limited budget, look at the loss leaders through the eyes of “need” only.
- Don’t adjust your whole healthy menu plan just because pasta is on sale. Only adjust your menus for high priced food items like meat, seafood and things like that.
The biggest money savers:
- Make your Food Budget
- Make your Menu
- Make your Grocery List
- Stick to it!
3 Cautions when Shopping Loss Leaders:
1) Do NOT adjust your meal plan unless the sales at the store are irresistible. Seriously, there will always be great sales at the stores (weekly) and if you run out every week to buy the latest sales items you will not be able to maintain any of the above.
2) Your menu will go out the window, along with your grocery list, along with your budget. Oh and your sanity!
3) Use the front page of the loss leader for the biggest savings, Then only you can decide whether you want to buy and adjust.
Shop well! Blessings!
Linking up to these great parties!