When I first started blogging a 4 years ago… I didn’t really understand all the Giveaways, Sweepstakes and Contests…I mean where do giveaways, sweepstakes and Contests come from? Why do people DO them? What’s the gimmick? What a hassle and so on…
What are Giveaways, Sweepstakes and Contests?
So I thought it would be fun to explain what this giveaway business is all about…
Well first of all I want to tell you that the Giveaways that I do are totally legit! Put on by reputable companies, organizations and Bloggers! I would totally never ever knowingly partner up with a shady company or Blogger…not for any amount of $$, product or press.
Giveaways come from Companies, Organizations or Bloggers that want to give away great products or $$ to their readers!
Several Bloggers will connect and decide on a great prize. Then those that want to join in will pitch in a little (usually very little) money for the prize. Or Companies or Organizations will offer a prize.
Then there is “Why” do I do Giveaways? Well there are several reasons:
- I LOVE to bless my readers with a chance to win a valuable prize. Whether monetary or product.
- I get to connect my readers with great companies.
- I connect with great companies and organizations which gives me a great reputation and connects me with more great companies that I can connect you with..Whoosh that was a mouthful. LOL
- Companies love to give products away! Believe it or not there is a huge demand from companies looking to find reputable Bloggers to give their product away.
- I gain more followers on my Social Media…have you ever wondered why all the following this and that for entries? Well that’s why. So that companies and Bloggers gain more followers. I used to feel that I was “buying” followers for a follow. It just didn’t sit well with me. That was before I really started to understand the Social Media end of boosting trends for companies. The more followers, the more reach = Happy Companies and Organizations!
- Soooo more goodies for YOU!
Now back to the followers thing…I don’t feel uncomfortable anymore about asking for follows for an entry..most of all because I know that if someone really doesn’t want to follow..they can unfollow anytime they want. However what I have found is that most do not unsubscribe or unfollow. So then I feel that through many of these giveaways…my readers have found me and I have found them..YAY
A match made in heaven…ok maybe that’s going a bit far
I have also found that the terms Giveaways, Contests and Sweepstakes are usually interchangeable. They all kind of mean the same thing. I personally don’t do any kind that are complicated. It’s too much for my brain to handle and I don’t want to over load an already overloaded reader with too many complicated entries to a giveaway.
I know that sometimes it seems like there are several giveaways in a row. I try to spread these out for those that have no interest in them. However, sometimes I don’t really have a choice as to when these giveaways go live on my website due to working with many companies, organizations and Bloggers. With that said…I usually try to remember to put “giveaway” in the title so that you can see if this is something you want to hop over and enter or just pass it on by.
Oh and by the way…you really can win! I have several times 🙂
If you have any other questions regarding Giveaways..I would be happy to answer them Just leave them in the comments below.