In 8 days I will catching a plane to Birmingham AL for the 2012 dotMOM Conference, sponsored by LifeWay and B&H Publishing! I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am!! Help me to decide what to leave behind and what to take ahead!
My husband is so proud of me and excited too, but a little nervous and my kids just laugh at my excitement and wonder who’s cooking the meals while I am gone…of course..Teens, all they do is eat! It’s a big deal when Mom is gone..but so good for them. They are not babies and it’s good for them to continue to learn to do grow by being in charge of their own schedules and food and life for a couple of days 🙂
I have never ever been on a trip like this so I need my checklist for what I leave behind and what I bring with me!
This is what I’ve come up with:
- Make sure laundry is done
- Grocery store for some healthy snacks
- Make some junk food snacks: Homemade Hot Pockets, Homemade Bagel Bites..etc.
- Check to make sure I have a couple of Freezer Meals that I pop in the microwave or oven ready!
- Make sure the kids have everything they need for school!
- Secretly write my husband some love notes to leave around the house so that he knows I’m thinking of him..while I’m having a blast;)
FOR MY TRIP
- Check the weather report for Birmingham Alabama and pack appropriately..What shall I wear? I have no idea what the weather is like on the other side of the world! LOL
- Figure out what in the world to do on a plane for 5-6 hours! Maybe WRITE since I will have NO interruptions for a change. LOL Unless God has other plans of course. I’m taking suggestions:)
- Make sure I have food to eat..I need to keep that blood sugar up for energy
- Check to make sure that I have my tickets!
- Bring a little $$ you know for those little extras that I will never think of but totally need
I have also thought about checking into Travel Insurance through Travel Insurance Direct. Although it’s not the most fun thing to think about things CAN happen when traveling. Travel Insurance Direct covers a very wide range of benefits, from Cancelation Costs, Medical Emergencies, Travel Disruptions and many, many other unforeseen delays or emergencies. The medical benefits are unlimited! AND they have 24/7 emergency assistance. I was quite impressed by the list and the benefits covered for a very modest cost.
In going with any type of business that I am not totally familiar with, I ALWAYS look at their reputation and customer reviews. Travel Insurance Direct is rated 4.5 stars by 486 customers! That’s a great rating!
I think it is very prudent to have insurance when traveling, for a small fee, to have peace of mind for our families and for ourselves. What do you think?
Do you have some travel tips for me? I would love to hear them since this is so new to me!