You know this is one of those posts that I’ve just GOT to write..because it’s buggin me so much… are you one of those that are letting Pinterest dictate the value of your worth? Are you losing your self esteem over Pinterest?
The other day I was watching my local news and was so surprised to hear this “news” story come up about Pinterest…What?..news about Pinterest?…I love Pinterest… The “news” story was about how some people are just getting too stressed out about Pinterest and how it made them feel like less than a Mom, Wife, Crafter…or whatever.
The point was that women were not feeling like they are measuring up to the standards of all of the beautifulness that Pinterest displays! The newscast even promoted a new website that posts and displays all of the epic fails that have been tried and failed from Pins on the Pinterest site to counteract these so called “perfect” Pins that are making these women feel so inadequate.
At first I thought…WHAT?! Why are people making fun of all the hard work that other pinners and creators have gone to, to create a wonderful, helpful, fun, crafty or inspirational post for others to try and enjoy.
I would feel really bad if someone tried one of my ..let’s say recipes and failed at it and then posted it on that site as a “fail” so that others would not want to give it a go.
So my beef is this about that…Don’t we try things all the time and fail? I mean that is how we learn…right?! I haven’t done anything perfectly the first time…If I posted all my fails at recipes…my family will tell you..I would have a whole blog..just about THAT! LOL!!
Pinterest is actually a pretty new platform. It’s only been around for a couple of years and in that time it has exploded with popularity. I’ve found it funny the reactions that I get when I talk to people about it. It’s either..”I love it! I’m addicted!” or “I hate it! I feel inadequate and overwhelmed!”
One of my older daughters, who is very creative and crafty said a while back.. “I get overwhelmed..so many fun things, but I don’t have time to do even half of the things I find..so I don’t go on there anymore because I get depressed that I can’t get all of the cool things done!”
That really surprised me because she is so creative! So I thought maybe I would just give a little encouragement…
11 tips that will help you to enjoy Pinterest rather than letting it dictate the value of your worth:
- Don’t compare yourself to others! Ha..that’s original isn’t it. We all know this..but somehow when poking around all the beauty on Pinterest we forget…
- Use common sense. I mean C’mon…Some of those beautiful pins are done by professional people. Whether Bakers, Cooks, Crafters…these are very talented people that have been doing this for years and have perfected their craft. That doesn’t mean you can’t try it…but lower your expectations the first several try’s.
- Just because you have a “fail” doesn’t mean you should give up!!
- Enjoy the beauty! Encourage others for their beautiful work and you will feel much better. The words we think and speak have A LOT to do with the way we feel about ourselves…be an encourager!
- Just plain allow yourself to fail. It doesn’t mean you are a “fail”ure.. “It is better to make a thousand failures than to be too cowardly to ever undertake anything.” by Clovis G Chappell
- Before you log into your Pinterest account..have a little plan. Ask yourself the following questions: What exactly am I looking for? A recipe, a craft idea, gardening..whatever..just stay focused. It’s when you don’t stay focused that things get overwhelming and then we can’t even remember what we pinned where and how can we make all this cool stuff and….you know..”I’m a loser” thinking comes in.
- Rather than just pinning and running…go to the actual website. Take a minute to poke around and get to know the person that actually first made that project and pinned that beautiful pin..You know what you will find? A real live person that will probably be the first to admit that they are NOT perfect! HA!
- Remember…Pinterest is there for YOU. It is not a tool or platform to manipulate YOU into doing what it wants…like a cell phone..YOU are in charge of whether you answer it or not…right!? Well Pinterest is the same way..just because there are a million different cool things to do on there…YOU are in charge of how much time you spend..what projects you pin and choose to try.
- Set a timer! If you haven’t found a recipe or project in a certain amount of time..get off and find inspiration elsewhere…it’s really ok..
- Let’s face it…there are lots of reasons why some women have more time to spend doing these projects than others….the list could go on…there are different seasons at different times in life…you just gotta accept that 🙂
- Accept yourself! You are who God created you to be and that is PERFECTLY YOU! Don’t try to be someone else. You have value because you are who you are! YAY! You have value because you are valuable not because of the projects you do.
Oh and here is a bonus tip! LOL Relax and enjoy life, Pinterest and each other!
Feel free to save this printable or share if you like!
Ok now that I’ve gotten that off of my chest, feel free to follow me on Pinterest HA and try a few of my pins…you don’t really have to..but I thought ..hey why not…LOL if you do, then come tell me how you did after taking into consideration my 11 tips for not letting Pinterest dictate the value of your worth!
Linking up with: All Things Thursday, Raising Homemakers, Hearts for Home, Proverbs 31 Thursdays, Titus 2 Tuesday