Last week in my new series One Bloggers Confessions, I shared how I needed to Cease Striving. One of the things that I have learned over the years, is that when God shows me something, I need to take some time to STOP and examine just why I am doing a certain unhealthy behavior.
The revealing of my heart? FEAR! Are you ever struck by fear when it comes to blogging?
It seems so silly doesn’t it?! We start our blogs for so many different reasons…fun, we love writing, to share our passions, etc. and somewhere along the lines our passion and fun can turn into a fearful striving!
Fear of what?
- Fear of not having enough Page views
- Fear someone won’t like me
- I’ll never make money at this
- I’ll never make “enough” money at this
- I’m not posting enough/I’m posting too much
- I’m not in the right Niche
- My color scheme is all wrong
- My social buttons are wrong
- My sidebars are too cluttered/my sidebars are too bare
- My topics are boring
- My posts are too long/short
- Fear of not writing interesting posts
- Then the fear that nobody will read those posts
- Fear that we aren’t doing something right with our Social Media
- Fear that someone else’s content will be the same as ours..or visa versa
- Fear that we have no gifts or talents
- Fear that we are wasting too much time on the computer.
- Is my SEO right!? Can Goooogle find me?
Unfortunately this can lead to striving OR it can paralyze us into doing nothing or even worse…quitting!
When we realize that fear is the underlying reason for all of this striving, we need to STOP once again, and turn our eyes toward the One that is in charge of it all. Fear has no place in our blogging life. It all belongs to God anyway…from beginning to end. Whether you blog about food, crafts, health, faith and everything in between…it belongs to Him. We must trust Him who created us.
This is a scripture I continually tell my kids:
“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” James 4:10
Do we need to work our blogs as a business? Of course we do, if that is what we want to do. However, when I am finished for the day, I must entrust any outcome to the Lord. I must entrust that He has put on my heart what is to be shared and what is not.
Most of all I must REST in the fact that God is in control of this whole blogging business in my life. My success is due to His grace and mercy, not because I’m so wonderful and deserve it.
“This is what the Lord says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24
If we know right where we stand with God…every single one of us, then we can rest in His grace and mercy and not fear that we are not enough…because the truth is, we are not.
So let’s let God be God and have fun along the way, sharing our lives our gifts and our talents with this internet world.
Let’s fear the only One that matters…
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.” Psalm 111: 10
Have a blessed day! Ok!?
Linking to these great parties!