Life can just be so stressful. From the day to day busyness to the absolute hardships we encounter. Anxiety can overtake us! Over the many years of being a Mom I’ve learned many tips for relieving stress. I hope these 13 Healthy Ways to Relieve Stress & simple remedies will help you too! If you are trying to stay healthy and flu free, you might want to take a look at these ideas and tips!
About a month ago I got a new job working as a Substitute Para Educator (aka teachers helper) with our local school district. I had really mixed emotions about this, as my new Virtual Assistant Business (aka online secretary) has been really taking off. I went back and forth as to whether I should take the job or not and decided I would go ahead and take it because it’s super hard to get in with the school district here and since I’m not watching my grand kids anymore, it has been a pretty huge income loss. And I’ve been on a waiting list for quite some time.
13 Healthy Ways to Relieve Stress
So along with my Blogging Business, VA Business and Para Educator job…I’ve been a little STRESSED OUT! Oh, sorry to shout…just relieving a little stress.
Oh wait, that’s not the only stress I have in my life…Teenagers! One in particular, the 16 year old. She thinks she is all grown up but acts like a toddler. Yes, if you’ve ever had teens OR a toddler, you know exactly what I mean.
Let’s see, then there is the everyday stuff, like my husband wanting to spend some time with me….the house needs to be cleaned…the kids have sporting events…groceries need to be bought and meals prepared…etc. You know LIFE!
I’m finding I have reached my limit!
This isn’t the first time that life has seemed overwhelming and I’m sure it won’t be the last, however over the years I have certain indicators that have helped me to realize when I’m overwhelmed, over tired and starting a downward spiral to burnout. I have a tendency to take too much on….have you noticed!?
Some of these Indicators are:
- Grouchy a lot
- Not sleeping well, can’t turn the brain off
- Lack of Patience..especially with teen toddlers.
- Want to isolate and everyday little problems seem more overwhelming than they really are.
Those are just a few!
So what do I do?
Here are 13 healthy ways to relieve stress that have worked for me over the years.
1. Stop! Realistically re evaluate my time, my commitments, my passions and my goals. Spring is a great time to do this as it is a time for new beginnings and new starts! Spend time with the Lord to truly hear from Him and decide what must stay and what must go.
2. Journal ~ For me journaling is a huge stress reliever…umm obviously I like to write. After journaling for the past 30 years…I find answers and hidden gems that God shows me..in His word. I write them down so that in my busy, busy life, I don’t forget what is spoken to my heart and I go back over and over to the wisdom of God for comfort. If you are interested in learning how to journal you might enjoy this Journal Learning series!
3. I take a break that is out of the ordinary and do something I really love that has nothing to do with busyness or business! Today my daughter is taking me out to lunch! So fun. The sun has been shining and I was out in the yard the other day for hours. It felt so good to let my mind go and just enjoy the smell of the dirt and get rid of those weeds. Awww
4. As a Blogger and VA I need to be on Social Media quite often. I’ve cut way back so that I have a little breathing room, thus cutting back on the stress of always having to be “present”
5. Create a very simple schedule ~ I am in the process of creating a schedule for myself. Maybe you have one…but I’m sort of a “free spirit” LOL I like to do things when I want to. Most of the time this works super great for me, but right now… I need to get focused on a few things or I will burn myself out. This will alleviate the stress of having too long of a to do list every single day. I’ll only be doing the things I really NEED to be doing.
6. I’m not sure how many of you know this, but I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict. I’ve been in recovery for 31 years this May, by Gods’ amazing grace. Any way, I never ever take unhealthy pills, drink or do any kinds of unhealthy behaviors to relieve stress. Instead over the years I have sought out more healthy alternatives and natural and healthy ways to relieve stress.
After a TON of research, I’ve found that a healthy Gut is essential to how my hormones, immune system and serotonin are produced to keep me feeling amazing and keeping me in balance. I started some fantastic plant based products in the Plexus family and have been SO PLEASED with the results, I put my often stressed out daughter on them and it has been truly amazing to watch her transform into a happy healthy young adult!
7. Take a nice long hot bath…with candles lit or lights off. This is a huge stress reliever for me at the end of a hard day.
8. Go for a walk or workout. We all know the stress relieving benefits of exercise. So on my simple little schedule I’m making…I’m going to fit in what is important, exercise.
9. Create margin in my day! Pretty much every minute of my day is scheduled. Margin is a non scheduled time for those “emergencies” or just plain down times we need in our days…or week. It’s a must to relieve stress so that I don’t always feel like I’m “on” every second of every day.
10. Get healthy sleep. When I’m overwhelmed and stressed I don’t get good sleep as I said above BUT, by doing the above things I WILL get healthy sleep. It’s one of those catch 22 things. So doing the first 9 things will help me to do number 10! Make sense?
11. LAUGH MORE! Put on a comedy movie, tell some silly jokes, watch funny videos of kids or animals…whatever makes you laugh…DO IT!
12. Spend time with friends. This can be a huge stress reliever as you share your heart with them.
13. Cry it out…really, it’s ok.
That’s my list…these 13 healthy ways to relieve stress really DO work, but first we must DO them. I’ve learned the hard way what can happen if we don’t get our stress under control. Stress is super bad for us, so let’s do what it takes to live a healthy life spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically. Ok!?
There will always be a certain amount of stress in life, but take charge and change what you can and find ways to live with the others.
You CAN get a handle on stress…you really can, so don’t give up hope. Try some of the above steps and let me know what how you are doing. Or maybe one or two of them.
What about you…what do you do to relieve stress or when you just plain feel overwhelmed?
Linking to these great parties!