During sports season (which happens to be 9 months out of the year) we do alot of traveling on the weekends. On those weekends we can have 4-6 games depending on the schedule. Crazy isn’t it!! Anyway, eating healthy and staying on budget has got to be purposeful or it just will not happen. That is why I created a traveling sports menu plan and printable planner for staying organized.
I admit it, it’s easier to drive through a fast food joint in between games than to plan and prepare for our trips, but it will break the bank AND it’s not very healthy.
(this post has affiliate links see full disclosure)
Over the years I’ve learned to commit to planning and preparing most, if not all of our meals on the road. I don’t just mean “trail mix” like stuff (although that’s good too), but real meals that keep my athletes healthy and fueled. Since they love to eat out so much I copycat some of the fast foods they like most (in my own healthy way!). So here are some of the meals and snacks I use:
Traveling Sports Menu List
- Sub Sandwiches – Chicken, Bacon Ranch, Veggie, Ham and Cheese (hot and melted Mmm) I keep the ones I want hot in my casserole dish that has a heat pack and a lid…first I wrap the sandwich in foil. It keeps them warm for hours.
- Homemade Hot Pockets
- Breakfast Sandwich (ham, cheese, egg) I keep hot the same as I explained above.
- Homemade Crispy Baked BBQ Chicken Strips
- Leftover Homemade Pizza (my kids like it cold) with Ranch Dressing for dipping. Or they also love to take along these Mini Pizzas
- Yogurt Parfait’s with lots of fruit and granola
- Sandwich Wraps (Chicken, Turkey, Egg, Asian, BBQ Chicken)
- Good Morning Muffins, Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Fruit and veggies like apples with peanut butter dip or caramel dip
- A little junk food ~ Chips, Dorrito’s, Popcorn (oh, were you thinking this was for my athletes? LOL)
For more easy snacks ` Check out our recipe page!
Here are some of the simple kitchen appliances, gadgets and doodads I use:
I LOVE to take my Crockpot along on our trips that take a whole day. It’s so nice to escape the crazy gym and go out to the car and have a nice healthy meal…quietly. Bring paper bowls and plastic spoons and a garbage bag and boom…you’re ready.
It’s also fun to invite others from the team to join you too…trust me…you will be the hit of the team with both parents AND athletes if you bring a Crockpot full yummy food.
It’s super important to have a Crockpot with a cover for these trips to keep your food hot.
Pyrex Portables 4-Piece GlassAnother of my prized possessions 😉 is my 9×13 pyrex with a cover AND carrying case w/hot pad that you can microwave to keep the contents hot! I use this for casseroles BUT when I’m using it for my traveling menu, I put sandwiches, burritos …anything in it that I want to keep hot.
People ask me about this all the time, because it works so well!
The MOST IMPORTANT thing we bring– Coffeeee! 😀 My husband and I are coffee drinkers and we have saved sooo much money by simply bringing along our own coffee. While everyone else is driving through coffee stands at $4.50 a drink…we are spending pennies!
Oh is that too boring? You can make your own fancy coffee drinks and put them in a thermos too!
Coleman 30 Can Cooler,Last but not least, is that you need a good cooler for keeping stuff cold…I’m pretty sure I don’t need to explain why.
old bin to put our dirty dishes in so that I can just carry them in the house when we are done and throw things in the dishwasher.
Oh and that old bin on the table is for garbage and dirty dishes.
I wanted to help you be able to plan ahead, so I created this printable for you to use when you have your schedule of games or extra curricular activities.