I’ve chuckled at the funny ideas people have about vegetable gardening and since it’s getting time to plant our cool weather veggies around here, I have been talking to others about it. Here are some of the funny comments I’ve gotten:
“Vegetable Gardening is for those that can’t afford to buy there vegetables at the grocery store”
“The only people that have Vegetable Gardens are the ones that are all Green and Environmental”
“I don’t have a green thumb and wouldn’t even consider growing a Vegetable Garden”
“Vegetable Gardens are ugly”
“Vegetable Gardens are too much work!”
“Vegetable Gardens take up too much time!”
“Vegetable Gardens produce TOO much veggies for us to consume”
“I don’t have the space for a Vegetable Garden”
All of these comments seem so funny to me…I mean it used to be the only means of getting healthy foods..people grew there own food! Now don’t get me wrong…I think that everyone has a total right to say “I don’t want to have a Vegetable Garden” But the excuses and myths about Gardening is sort of what gets to me.
Plus I’m a little biased because my Grandmother and Mom always had gardens and loved them. One of the first things that we did when we would visit would be shown around the garden to see what was growing and what’s not…There is something special about being outside with a friend or family and showing them your garden..maybe even sending them home with a little something…
So what’s the REAL reason folks garden? Some maybe to offset their grocery bill for sure..especially with the cost of rising food prices BUT..there are many other reasons to grow a Vegetable Garden..
- You just can’t get fresher than growing your own. If you have not tasted a fruit or veggie from your own garden..you are missing the most deelish foods ever! If you like to eat..then this is the most tasty way to go!
- Growing veggies in your own garden assures you that you are getting THE MOST HEALTHY foods possible.
- Growing a Vegetable Garden can be a great family project that brings about unity and a common goal…yum..eating healthy foods
- Gardening…whether a Vegetable Garden or Flower Garden is good exercise.
- Taking time to work in your garden gives you time to think…relax..to ponder and not be rushed. It gives you patience as you wait for those beautiful deeelish veggies to grow till harvest time.
- You can give generously to Neighbors, Relatives, Local Food Banks
- It gives you a chance to be creative..there are sooo many ways to grow a Vegetable Garden. PRETTY ones 🙂
- Pssst..guess what..there are secrets to gardening that will cut WAY BACK on the time and work needed to keep your Vegetable Garden growing healthy and weed free!
- There are LOTS of ways to grow some vegetables even if you have very limited space.
- EVERYONE can grow a garden. Don’t believe for a minute that you somehow cannot grow a garden. (another little secret…we plant the seed, God makes it grow)
- Ummm what’s wrong with being Green?
- It gets you outdoors!
- Gardens are for Sharing..
Have I convinced you yet? Well take a look at these fun gardens and just start to dream. Spring has just begun..time to really start planning and dreaming…
Country Living Photo Credit
This garden was created on the 20th Floor of a balcony!
Inside Urban Green photo credit
As you can see there are many different kinds of Vegetable Gardens. Sure the initial time invested is a bit … but after that..it’s smooth sailing! Pretty much…
So have I convinced you to start a little Veggie Garden? Well if not here’s my plan..
My garden last year didn’t turn out as I had hoped..mostly because it just didn’t get enough sun…so this year I’m going to do some things a little different…I’m going to be a little more creative..I hope..LOL
Once a week I’m going to post a Vegetable Gardening article that will help you AND me to stay on track..step by step. I am even thinking about doing a linky party every week… so that we can share our progress with each other…
Now please don’t be discouraged if you want to participate and for some reason you really cannot have a veggie garden..guess what..I think even if you plant 1 herb in a pot..you are growing vegetables!! LOL I’m easy!
Your very first assignment…get creative! Look around your yard or patio..think about where you could put a vegetable garden. Go on the internet and dream a little…See what others are doing..or not doing..
Only one more thing..vegetable gardens need at least 6-8 hours of full sun to do well..so keep this in mind when scouting out the perfect spot!
Leave me a comment..Are you going to start a garden with me…or just watch..LOL really either way is ok..but I would love some company on this!
Linking up with: Titus Tuesdays, Women Living Well Wednesdays, Whatever Goes Wednesdays, The Mommy Club, WFMW, Whatever You Want Wednesdays, Raising Homemakers, Inspiration in Progress, Mommy Moments, Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop, Mop It Up Mondays, Miscellany Mondays, Made by You Mondays